Monday 26 February 2018

'Honour' Walking Dead (spoilers)




So, following the mid season break, Walking Dead came back with a bang tonight! It was packed from the beginning with emotion, drama and it totally tugged at the old heartstrings. The aptly titled, 'Honour' was a 'cry-fest' from the start.

The opening scenes were powerful to watch, with an even more powerful song called 'At the Bottom of Everything' by band, Bright Eyes. I have literally never heard of this band before, but I have already added them to my playlist on Spotify so I can hear more of their stuff.


I'm Awake, Its Morning - Bright Eyes
A link to the song is here...
https://open.spotify.com/track/09JRdZ11NAsmL4ppAXWddf
We came back to where we left off last year, with most of the group underground and devastated and numbed by the realisation that their boy cub, Carl (or as Rick calls him, CORAL) had been bitten. Anyone who knows Walking Dead and the whole zombie outbreak storyline know that this for sure signed his death warrant. There was talk online from forums and social media that this was a stunt by the show producers to keep us coming back and that Carl would survive this injury. Some suggested that it was a dream, others suggested that he would be immune to the killer-zombie-creating-bug...Some people suggested that they would merely cut the bite out, as they did with Hershel when they chopped his bitten leg off in Season 3, but I really couldn't imagine them cutting parts of Carl's stomach out and couldn't see it working.

The episode started with a strong, emotional montage as Carl seemed almost accepting of his fate. He wrapped up his wound, shared a chocolate bar with his new friend and set up the bunker for his friends and family to hide in.

We got to revisit the moment he was bitten (why didn't he fight more....it was like he wanted to be bitten) and saw as he wrote letters of goodbye to all of the people who mattered the most to him (because he had nothing but time on his hands whilst the 'war' with Negan went on).

Scenes of him playing with his sister Judith and painting matching handprints, one big and one small were especially touching.

We switched back and forth between some of the groups as they fought to take control over the saviours. Carol and Morgan were a tough fighting duo as they dealt with the guys who had tried to take over 'The Kingdom'.

But the main focus of this episode was the fact that poor Carl was dying, he gave some touching speeches to his dad and Michonne before asking to end his life on his terms.

At times I found that the episode dragged a little bit and I found myself wondering where Daryl was. He is one of the main reasons I watch the show and he doesn't get nearly enough air time in my opinion. I felt like saying, 'OK, OK...its sad that Coral is dying, its sad that he is about to turn into a Zombie, but lets get back to the main man, shall we?' When I saw shots of him holding Judith I almost climbed up and licked the screen, but I held myself back.

The overall feel for the episode was good to be honest, it was a bit drawn out at times but it was played out quite well. I appreciate that the cast, producers and even the fans would want a good send off for Chandler Riggs; he had been in all 8 seasons of Walking Dead and I suppose it was a rather touching, beautiful way to say goodbye to the boy we had watched grow up.

Chandler Riggs


All I ask for in future episodes is more of this fella. 




Tata for now!

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment